Feb 6th DO THE MOVIES HAVE A FUTURE? II
“Conglomerate Aesthetics: Notes on the Disintegration of Film Language” & “Pirates on the iPod: The Soul of a New Screen.” Do the Movies Have a Future? David Denby
– “The Way We Live Now,” Do the Movies Have a Future? David Denby
– Online Film Criticism Parts I and II. (or PDF here & here)
For next week, we’ll be discussing the role of new media and digital technologies in contemporary cinema appreciation.
Think of Jonze’s Adaptation as you re-read Denby’s first chapter; are there Donald films and Charlie films? What is the film telling us about contemporary movie-making?
What does it tells us about how we write and compose? Is it a film that requires repeat viewing? Did it leave you thinking, feeling, reflecting? Would you classify it as a “serious” film or an “entertaining” film?
As you read through Denby and the Film Comment pieces, I want you to think of how you encounter film criticism today; are the pieces about online film criticism an answer to Denby?
In thinking about Denby’s piece on “Pirates on the iPod”; do you find different screens are better suited for different films? That is, what makes you want to see a film in a theater and what makes you decide to watch something on your tablet, phone, TV, etc.?
I want you to look through the sites below for examples of online film criticism to get a sense of what we’re discussing. What do you notice about their layout, their choice of films, their tone, their aesthetic, their post length, etc.?
- The Film Experience http://thefilmexperience.net/
- Feminist Frequency http://www.feministfrequency.com
- Cinephile Archive http://cinephilearchive.tumblr.com
- Filmmaker IQ http://filmmakeriq.com
- Nick’s Flick Picks http://nicksflickpicks.com/
- Serious Film http://seriousfilm.blogspot.com/
- They Shoot Pictures Don’t They http://www.theyshootpictures.com/
- Self Styled Siren http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/
- Acidemic http://acidemic.blogspot.com/
- Dear Old Hollywood http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/
- Film Dr http://www.filmdr.blogspot.com/
- The AV Club http://www.avclub.com/
- Reverse Shot http://www.reverseshot.com/